The Oncology team at Wear Referrals is led by Aaron Harper, an EBVS® and RCVS Recognised Specialist in Oncology.
We accept all cases with a diagnosis of cancer in dogs and cats, including conditions such as:
- Blood cancers (lymphoma, leukaemia)
- Skin cancers such as mast cell tumours
The Oncology service can also offer investigations of suspected cancers (e.g. abdominal masses, enlarged lymph nodes). Medical oncologists specialise in advising on all aspects of cancer treatment including surgery and radiotherapy, managing the cancer patient throughout the disease pathway, delivering and developing systemic anti-cancer therapies and managing the complications of cancer and its treatment from diagnosis through to cure/survivorship and/or end of life care
Reasons to refer an oncology case to Wear Referrals
- The only Specialist-led Oncology service in the Northeast of England
- Friendly, caring Oncology team
- Advanced imaging with CT and MRI available for investigation and staging
- Minimally invasive biopsy techniques including video endoscopy and laparoscopy
- Complete chemotherapy suite
- Multi-disciplinary team under one roof for all aspects of pet cancer care and treatment.
The first step of any referral is a consultation with an Oncologist. Consultations are a particularly important aspect of the service that Aaron and Slavka provide for clients; they will discuss every treatment option with owners before recommending the best plan for their pet. Click here to find out about what to expect from your appointment.
The Oncology nursing team is central to the care that we provide to our patients. The nurses are responsible for delivering all aspects of cancer care and are specially trained to deliver chemotherapy. They will also provide support for clients through their pet’s journey, as we recognise that a cancer diagnosis in a loved pet can be particularly challenging.
Routine consultations are seen from Monday to Friday and emergency cases are accepted on request at any time.
Common cases we are seeing:
- Mast cell tumours
- Tumours of the head and neck
- Investigations of suspect cancers such as abdominal masses
- Palliative care for patients with advanced cancer
We are also pleased to offer our support for treatment of cancers in collaboration with our local GP practices, which will include advice on chemotherapy protocols and palliative care strategies.