The Oncology service at Wear Referrals is led by Aaron Harper, an EBVS® and RCVS Recognised Specialist in Oncology. The Oncology service works alongside our Diagnostic Imaging, Internal Medicine and Surgery departments to deliver the best possible care to our patients.
We accept cases of cancer in dogs and cats, including common conditions such as lymphomas, mast cell tumours and sarcomas. The Oncology service can also offer investigations of suspected cancers (e.g. abdominal masses).
Reasons to refer an oncology case to Wear Referrals:
- The only Specialist-led Oncology service in the North East of England
- Advanced imaging with CT and MRI available for investigation and staging
- Complete chemotherapy suite
- Friendly, caring Oncology team
- Multi-disciplinary team under one roof for all aspects of pet cancer treatment.
Consultations are a particularly important aspect of the service that Aaron provides for clients; he will discuss every treatment option with owners before recommending the best plan for their pet.
The Oncology nursing team will also provide support for clients through their pet’s journey, as we recognise that a cancer diagnosis in a loved pet can be particularly challenging.
Routine consultations are seen from Monday to Thursday and emergency cases are accepted on request at any time.
Common cases we are seeing:
- Mast cell tumours
- Oral tumours
- Investigations of suspect cancers such as abdominal masses
- Palliative care for patients with advanced cancer
We are also pleased to offer our support for treatment of cancers with our local GP practices, which will include advice on chemotherapy protocols and palliative care strategies.